25 Untold Secrets
1. I was born in a clinic and grew up in Navotas. A Beatles song was playing in the radio (inside the clinic) while my mom was giving birth. She doesn't remember the song anymore, but I hope it's not 'Get Back.'
2. My first drawing was a car. I vandalized it on a then brand new set of Colliers. It still exists today.
3. I was a Colliers addict. One day in 1982, my mom told me she'd go to Mercury (drug) to shop. I was stunned and asked her what she'd ride to get there. She replied "jeep!" I was amazed. How could she ride a jeep to Mercury, the planet?
4. I served the altar as a sacristan who had a stage fright.
5. I used to be an avid collector of religious images. My grandma would take me to Baclaran every Wednesday and I always looked forward to her buying me statues after every Mass. St. Therese, St. Anthony, and Saint What-have-yous were my first G.I.Joes.
6. I played Mass with my siblings, cousins and neighbors. I was the priest and I'd use pandesal as the Holy Host and I'd dip it in a glass of
7. I almost burned down my aunt's house in
8. I used to laugh when someone is crying. Weird. When my grandpa died and my cousin cried inside my room, my laughter was uncontrollable. When the 1990 earthquake shook our classroom like hell, my best friend and I laughed like lunatics after our classmates wailed in terror. Good thing that quirk is gone now.
9. I was a Beatlemaniac painter during high school. I dressed up like them, customizing my uniform with wide collar, bellbottom pants, high-heeled boots, and mopped hair. I even wore round glasses. I learned to play guitar and compose songs. I also drew a lot and won so many contests, and my teachers asked me to decorate the school every day. I was very eccentric then and I refused to accept that John Lennon was really dead.
10. I was haunted once by an evil dwarf.
11. I feel panic whenever I hold a flying kite. It's as if I'm gonna be taken away into oblivion. We used to make kites held together by sticky steamed rice.
12. My favorite breakfast is champorado with powdered milk, cheese cubes, and pandesal bits.
13. I'm a Lego addict. Right now I'm planning to sign up as Lego Ambassador in Lego.com. I used to have a Lego club in Navotas, where I met with people and traded Lego sets.
14. I'm a frustrated athlete. I have a problem with sports that require chasing objects like basketball, volleyball, etc. I dread injury. There's one sport I excel though, it's air hockey. Hehe!
15. I had a cruel past when I was a child. My cousin, brother, and I used to loathe babies and toddlers. We'd pinch them til they cry.
16. I had a pet named Kathybird, a roaming big pigeon, who took a set of kittens under her wing, literally. It was a message that she wanted to have a partner and chicks too. I ignored her and she left me for another male bird.
17. In my campaign to rid my house of a rat, I used Racumin. I caught the rat, slow and apparently intoxicated. Before I killed it, I was very guilty so I recited to the rat the many reasons why he needed to die. He looked at me as if listening. He didn't protest.
18. I was walking home when a kitten followed me. I took her and fed her. For the first time, a kitten licked me and slept on my lap. I had to send her back to the street because no one would take care of her. I also couldn't handle a pet who may die anyway, after my traumatic experience with my dead dog. I couldn't love again someone and lose it. That was one of the most heart-breaking nights of my life. I made a short film inspired by the experience and dedicated it to the kitten, whom I named Mussy.
19. I bought a mountain bike in 2003 and gave it my father in 2008. Unused.
20. I used to sing my country's national anthem before I sleep.
21. I can see water molecules.
22. I can control the rain.
23. I'm a frustrated ramp model.
24. I have a weird feeling that I was a ruthless king in my past life. When I looked down from the flyover during Edsa Dos and people where screaming 'Erap resign!', a similar experience flashed before me. I was a king looking from my balcony and people were asking for my head.
25. What I want, I get. For some strange reasons.